What rights do employees have after a workplace injury?

When an employee is injured on the job, one of their biggest concerns is often how they will pay medical bills and other general living expenses while they are unable to work. The District of Columbia allows for employees who are injured on the job to file for workers’ compensation benefits. It is also important to note that individuals who have suffered from an occupational disease can file for workers’ compensation benefits as well. If you are considering filing for these benefits, it is important to discuss your situation with an experienced workers’ compensation attorney.

Employees in the District of Columbia must file an Employee’s Notice of Accidental Injury or Occupational Disease within 30 days from the date of the accident or when they realized the illness was related to their job. Employees must file this notice with both the Office of Workers’ Compensation and their employer.  The written claim, known as the Employee’s Claim Application, must be filed within 1 year of the injury.

Injured or ill employees have the right to choose the physician who treats them. However, they are not permitted to change physicians without permission from the insurance company representing the employer or the Office of Workers’ Compensation. In addition, employees are not permitted to sue their employers because of a workplace injury.

If you have questions about a workplace injury, contact our firm today.

The experienced personal injury attorneys at Trombly & Singer, PLLC are prepared to represent clients facing legal matters after being injured due to another person’s negligence. If you require strong legal representation in Washington D.C. or Maryland, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation. 

Read Our Latest News and Blogs

Who Do I Sue if I’m Injured as a Passenger in an Auto Accident?

This blog speaks about the various intricacies associated with injured passenger cases in terms of who is responsible and how a lawyer can help.

Read More
department store accidents washington d.c.

What should I do if I’m injured on the job in D.C.?

This blog talks about what anyone who's been injured on the job should do and how a personal injury lawyer can help them recover their rightful compensation.

Read More