Injured in a Washington D.C. Sidewalk Accident? Here is What You Should Know.

Property owners are responsible for ensuring their property is safe for all who lawfully enter. Sidewalk owners are no exception. Unfortunately, many people who are simply walking down the street, minding their own business, find themselves injured due to poor sidewalk conditions. If you are someone who has recently been injured in a sidewalk accident, you must continue reading and speak with our experienced Washington D.C. personal injury attorneys to learn more about sidewalk accidents and how we can help if you have been injured in one. Here are some of the questions you may have:

How do most sidewalk accidents occur?

Sidewalk accidents happen for various reasons, though unfortunately, they are most commonly the cause of negligence, usually on the party of the property owner. Some of the most common causes of sidewalk accidents that our firm sees are potholes, loose debris, uneven pavement, and weather-related hazards left unattended past a reasonable amount of time, such as ice or snow. These accidents frequently result in slip and falls.

What should I do if I am injured due to a defective sidewalk?

If you are injured due to a defective sidewalk, you should do the following:

  1. Call the police.
  2. Notify the property owner of the accident.
  3. Ask anyone who saw the accident for their name, phone number, and email address.
  4. Take pictures of the unsafe condition that caused your accident.
  5. Receive immediate medical care.
  6. Retain the services of an experienced Washington D.C. personal injury attorney who can work to uncover all additional evidence needed to satisfy the burden of proof, such as security camera footage of the incident as it happened.

How long will I have to sue a property owner for an injury in Washington D.C.?

If you are injured on someone else’s property, you will have to file your personal injury claim within Washington D.C.’s statute of limitations. The statute of limitations for premises liability claims in Washington D.C. is, generally three years, giving you three years from the date of your accident to sue the property owner responsible. That being said, if you were injured on property owned by a municipality, you will have to file a Notice of Claim in a matter of months, which is why you must act fast. Our firm is here to help you today–all you have to do is pick up the phone and give us a call.


The experienced personal injury and medical malpractice attorneys at Trombly & Singer, PLLC are prepared to represent clients facing legal matters after being injured due to another person’s negligence. If you require strong legal representation in Washington D.C. or Maryland, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.