In Washington D.C., property owners are responsible for clearing their parking lots, sidewalks, and other areas where pedestrians will walk of all snow and ice hazards within a reasonable amount of time. When they fail to do so, people can sustain very serious injuries as a result. Please continue reading and speak with our knowledgeable Washington D.C. personal injury attorneys to learn more about snow and ice accidents in Washington D.C. and how our firm can help you recover the financial compensation you deserve and need to heal. Here are some of the questions you may have:
What should I do if I am injured in a snow & ice accident in Washington D.C.?
If you are injured in a snow and ice accident, you should do the following:
- Call the police and notify the property owner of your injury.
- Ask anyone who saw your accident for their name, phone number, and email address.
- Take pictures of the snowy/icy conditions that caused you to slip and fall.
- Ensure you receive medical attention, and ask your doctor for all medical documentation/bills associated with your injury.
- Finally, once you have been treated in a hospital, retain the services of an experienced Washington D.C. personal injury attorney who can work to uncover all additional evidence needed to prove your claim, such as surveillance footage of the accident as it happened.
How long will I have to sue for an injury in a snow and ice accident in Washington D.C.?
Depending on the owner of the property on which you were injured, you will have to file your personal injury claim within a certain timeframe, known as the statute of limitations. Since the statute of limitations for personal injury claims in Washington D.C. is, generally, three years, you will, in most cases, have three years from the date of your accident to sue the liable party. That being said, if you were injured on property owned by a municipality, you will have to file a Notice of Claim within a matter of months. Rather obviously time is of the essence, and the sooner you bring your claim to our firm’s attention, the better. We are ready to help you today–all you have to do is ask.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED WASHINGTON D.C. FIRM
The experienced personal injury and medical malpractice attorneys at Trombly & Singer, PLLC are prepared to represent clients facing legal matters after being injured due to another person’s negligence. If you require strong legal representation in Washington D.C. or Maryland, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.