Can I Get Compensation as a Crime Victim?

Your physical health is everything, and when someone compromises it, especially in the course of committing a criminal act, you deserve justice. Our legal team has fought on behalf of crime victims for years, and if you’re a crime victim seeking compensation for your injuries, you should strongly consider reaching out to our experienced Washington D.C. personal injury attorneys to learn more about crime victim compensation and how our legal team can help take you through the legal process ahead. Here are some of the questions you may have:

Is a crime victim allowed to seek financial compensation in Washington D.C.?

To start, you should understand that anyone who is injured due to the negligent or malicious actions of others is allowed to pursue financial compensation for their injuries. In cases that don’t involve a criminal aspect, the victim must prove that they were hurt as a direct result of another party’s failure to exercise care. For example, if you were hurt on someone else’s property, you’ll need to prove you were injured because the property owner either knew or should have known about the safety hazard and failed to fix it timely.

Similarly, if you were injured by someone committing an act of assault, or an individual who was driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol, you’ll need to prove they were directly responsible for your injuries. While you can press charges to have them prosecuted criminally (i.e. impose jail time, fines, etc.) you can also sue them for financial compensation for the injuries caused by their criminal actions. This compensation can help cover the cost of the medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more that you’ve incurred as a result of your injury.

How long can I wait to bring an injury claim in Washington D.C.?

In Washington D.C., the statute of limitations, in most cases, is three years. Typically, injury victims will have to file their personal injury claim within three years of the date their accident occurred. Don’t make the mistake of waiting past this timeframe, for if you do, you will likely permanently lose your right to sue. Our legal team is prepared to fight for you today. Pick up the phone and give us a call so you can tell us your story and so we can begin working towards the financial compensation to which you are entitled.


Contact the experienced personal injury and medical malpractice attorneys at Trombly & Singer, PLLC for help with your injury claim.