Can I Sue a Daycare for My Child’s Injury?

The only thing worse than sustaining a serious injury is having your child get seriously hurt, especially as a result of someone else’s negligence. When we enroll our children in daycare, we trust the daycare will ensure their safety. Unfortunately, this doesn’t always happen. There are times when daycares will be careless and our children are hurt as a result. If your child sustained an injury in their daycare, you’re most likely looking to hold them accountable. Our legal team is here to help. Please continue reading and reach out to a Washington D.C. premises liability lawyer from Trombly & Singer, PLLC to learn more about how we can guide you through the process ahead. Here are some of the questions you may have:

Am I allowed to sue my child’s daycare for an injury?

If you can prove that your child was hurt as a result of negligence on the party of your daycare, you should have a valid injury claim against it, regardless of if you signed a daycare liability clause. Many parents are asked to sign such an agreement when enrolling their children in daycare, and the agreement is essentially made to waive the daycare of any liability, should your child get hurt while under its care. You do not have to sign this document, and even if you did, you should still have grounds to pursue an injury claim.

There is a wide range of unsafe daycare conditions and warning signs of them, including:

  • Noticing your child losing weight
  • Unexplained cuts or bruises
  • Sczzors or other sharp materials left lying about
  • Cleaning products left within the reach of children
  • Dangerous drinking water or other unsanitary daycare conditions
  • Rusty or defective daycare playground equipment

How long do I have to file a claim on behalf of my child?

Technically, you should have up to three years from the date of your child’s injury to file your personal injury claim, in accordance with Washington D.C.’s statute of limitations. However, it’s always best to file your claim as soon after the date of the injury as you can. Our legal team is prepared to help you today. All you need to do is give us a call so we can get working on your case.


Contact the experienced personal injury and medical malpractice attorneys at Trombly & Singer, PLLC for help with your injury claim.