What You Should Know About Premises Liability Claims in Washington D.C.

There is nothing worse than sustaining an injury as a result of another party’s negligence. Accidents can happen just about anywhere, and while they are most common on the road, plenty of people are injured in slip and fall accidents due to no fault of their own every single day. Please continue reading and speak with our knowledgeable Washington D.C. personal injury attorneys to learn more about slip and fall accidents and how we can help you recover the compensation you need via a premises liability claim. Here are some of the questions you may have:

How can I win a premises liability claim?

To win a premises liability claim, it is critical that you retain the services of an experienced Washington D.C. personal injury attorney who can work to satisfy the burden of proof on your behalf. Your attorney will have to prove that the property owner knew or should have known about the unsafe property conditions, failed to take action to fix them, and that you were injured and sustained significant damages as a result. This is not always easy, which is why you must hire an attorney who has helped countless individuals in these situations for years. Our firm is here to assist you.

What compensation can I recover if I am injured in an accident?

When someone is injured in an accident, they can generally seek two types of damages: economic damages and noneconomic damages. Essentially, economic damages deal with tangible damages, such as the cost of multiple surgeries, overnight stays at hospitals, rehabilitation, and more. Noneconomic damages deal with intangible, though very real damages, such as the loss of enjoyment of life, pain and suffering, disfigurement, and more.

How long will I have to file a premises liability claim in Washington D.C.?

The statute of limitations is the timeframe in which you will have to file a personal injury claim. The statute of limitations for premises liability claims in Washington D.C. is three years. Waiting any longer than three years from the date of your accident will most likely result in your being permanently time-barred from suing. You should also keep in mind that if you were injured on government property, or property owned by a municipality, you will have to file a Notice of Claim in a far shorter period of time, which is why the sooner you bring your claim to our attention, the better of you will be. We are here to assist you today.


The experienced personal injury and medical malpractice attorneys at Trombly & Singer, PLLC are prepared to represent clients facing legal matters after being injured due to another person’s negligence. If you require strong legal representation in Washington D.C. or Maryland, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.