What Can I Do if I am Injured in a Snow & Ice Accident in D.C.?

Rather obviously, we are right in the heart of the winter season, which, unfortunately, means that more and more snow & ice accidents will occur. Please continue reading and speak with our Washington D.C. personal injury attorneys to learn more about how we can help if you’ve been injured in a slip and fall due to snow & ice. Here are some of the questions you may have regarding the legal process ahead:

How long do property owners in Washington D.C. have to remove snow?

When it snows in Washington D.C., property owners have a legal obligation to remove the snow or ice within a certain amount of time. The law states that all commercial and residential property owners are required to remove all snow and ice hazards from sidewalks around their property within eight hours of daylight after the snowstorm ended. When they fail to do so and someone is injured as a result, there is a very good chance that they may be held liable for their injuries in a premises liability claim.

What should I do if I am injured in a slip and fall accident?

If you are injured in a slip and fall accident due to snow & ice in Washington D.C., it is critical that you do the following:

  1. Call the police and notify the property owner of your injury.
  2. Ask witnesses for their contact information.
  3. Take pictures of the snow & ice that caused you to slip and fall.
  4. Seek medical treatment immediately.
  5. Hire an experienced Washington D.C. personal injury attorney who can work to recover the financial compensation you require to heal.

How long will I have to sue for a snow & ice accident in Washington D.C.?

When someone is injured in a snow & ice accident, it is critical that they do not delay filing a personal injury claim against the property owner responsible for their injury. In certain cases, it will be a private property owner who failed to remove snow; in other cases, it will be a government-owned entity that failed to remove snow in a timely fashion. If you were injured on privately-owned property, you will have three years from the date of your accident to sue. If you were injured on government-owned property, you must file a Notice of Claim within six months of the date of your accident. The sooner you speak with our firm, the better. We can assist you today.


The experienced personal injury and medical malpractice attorneys at Trombly & Singer, PLLC are prepared to represent clients facing legal matters after being injured due to another person’s negligence. If you require strong legal representation in Washington D.C. or Maryland, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.