What You Need to Know About Labor Day Car Accidents in Washington D.C.

This Labor Day, people from across the country will be traveling to celebrate with their loved ones. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of traffic, the chances of auto accidents occurring will drastically increase. Furthermore, there will also be a high number of individuals who choose to drive while under the influence of alcohol. If you are someone who gets injured in a Labor Day auto accident, either as a passenger or by a drunk driver, you most likely have a valid personal injury claim. Please read on and reach out to our experienced Washington D.C. personal injury attorneys to learn more about how we can help you after being wrongfully injured.

What should I do if I am injured by a drunk driver in Washington D.C.?

If you are someone who has been injured by a drunk driver, the very first thing you should do is call the police. They will file a police report documenting the accident and they will also test the driver to see what his/her BAC is. If they were, in fact, above the legal limit, this should be grounds to win your personal injury claim. That being said, you should also seek immediate medical treatment after the accident and retain the services of an experienced Washington D.C. personal injury attorney. 

Additionally, you should note that if you are injured by a drunk driver, under many circumstances, you may also hold the third party establishment that served the individual alcohol accountable under Washington D.C.’s dram shop law. For instance, you may sue a drunk driver who caused your accident after being served alcohol under the following circumstances:

  • He/she was already intoxicated
  • He/she appeared to be intoxicated
  • He/she has  “notoriously intemperate habits”
  • He/she was under the age of 21

What happens if I am injured as a passenger in someone else’s car?

Unfortunately, many passengers are also involved in Labor Day car accidents due to no fault of their own. If you have been injured as a passenger in a car, you most likely do not wish to sue your friend/relative for your injuries, however, you still require financial compensation to heal. Fortunately, you will not have to sue your friend/relative directly. Instead, our firm can sue your friend’s insurance company, enabling you to receive the compensation you need to heal without hurting your friend. We are here to help you through every step of the claims process ahead, all you have to do is pick up the phone and give us a call.


The experienced personal injury and medical malpractice attorneys at Trombly & Singer, PLLC are prepared to represent clients facing legal matters after being injured due to another person’s negligence. If you require strong legal representation in Washington D.C. or Maryland, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.