What Should I Do After a Drunk Driving Accident in Washington D.C.?

Every day, Washington D.C. sees auto accidents. Unfortunately, many of these auto accidents result in very serious injuries to those involved. One of the most common causes of auto accidents is drunk driving, and often, these accidents are severe. If you were injured by a drunk driver, either this past Fourth of July weekend or otherwise, you should read on and speak with a competent Washington, D.C. drunk driving accident lawyer from Trombly & Singer at once. Here are some of the questions you may have about these accidents:

What do I do if I’m hurt in an accident caused by a drunk driver?

After being involved in an accident with a drunk driver, as long as you are physically capable, you should do what you can to document the incident. The first thing you should do (and this is true after any auto accident) is call the police. Calling the police will help ensure that your injuries are treated on the spot by emergency medical services and will also likely prompt a breathalyzer test on the driver who was driving while intoxicated. If police determine the driver was, in fact, intoxicated, they will document this and we can use it to establish liability in your injury claim. Additionally, if you can, you should try and take pictures of any damage to your vehicle, ask witnesses for their contact information, and, once you’re treated in a hospital, ask for copies of all medical documentation surrounding your injury. Finally, you should reach out to our knowledgeable Washington, D.C. motor vehicle accident lawyers so we can pursue financial compensation in a personal injury claim on your behalf.

What is the dram shop law in Washington D.C.?

Many states have dram shop laws in place. Washington D.C. also has a dram shop law. Essentially, the dram shop law states that those injured due to drunk drivers who were served by establishments under certain circumstances may sue both the driver and the establishment that served the driver. In Washington D.C., any establishment that serves an individual who is under the age of 21, is already intoxicated (or appears to be intoxicated) or a person of notoriously intemperate habits (a known alcoholic) may be sued for compensation if the individual later causes an accident that results in damages.

If you were hurt because of a drunk driver, you can turn to Trombly & Singer, PLLC to fight for the full and fair compensation to which you are entitled. Just pick up the phone and give us a call so we can get started working on your case.


Contact the experienced personal injury and medical malpractice attorneys at Trombly & Singer, PLLC for help with your injury claim.