Few accidents cause worse injuries than those involving bicyclists who’ve been struck by motor vehicles. Unfortunately, bicycle accidents are rather commonplace here in Washington D.C., and if you are someone who has been wrongfully injured in one, you’re most likely now seeking financial compensation to help you heal. Please continue reading and reach out to the experienced Washington D.C. auto accident lawyers here at Trombly & Singer, PLLC to learn more about how we can help you through each step of the claims process ahead. Here are some of the questions you may have:
How do bicycle accidents most often happen in Washington D.C.?
Bicycle accidents occur primarily due to driver negligence, but at times, other factors may cause bicycle accidents as well. For example, inclement weather conditions, such as heavy rain, snow/ice, or even wet leaves can cause roads to become slippery and unsafe to ride a bike on. In other cases, bicycle accidents may be caused by poor road conditions, such as potholes or uneven pavement. Still, the most common cause of these accidents is driver negligence. Some examples of driver negligence in relation to cycling accidents are as follows:
- Driving while intoxicated
- Opening car doors into passing cyclists
- Trying to overtake cyclists
- Driving in bike lanes
- Driving while fatigued
- Failing to see cyclists at night
- Ignoring traffic signs or lights
- Failing to look before merging or changing lanes
If you were harmed as a result of a driver doing any of the aforementioned, there’s a strong chance you’ll have a valid injury claim, however, you shouldn’t pursue such a claim without a seasoned lawyer in your corner.
What should I do after sustaining an injury in a bicycle accident in D.C.?
After a bicycle accident injury, you should take certain steps to document the accident and get the medical treatment you need. If possible, try and do the following:
- Call law enforcement/emergency services to the scene.
- Get the phone number/email address of anyone who saw your accident happen.
- Get the driver’s insurance information.
- Take pictures of your injuries and damaged bicycle.
- Keep copies of medical documentation regarding your injuries.
- Hire a personal injury lawyer who can help you through the personal injury claims process.
Over the years, we’ve fought for countless bicycle accident victims just like you, and we’re prepared to do everything in our power to recover your rightful compensation. Give Trombly & Singer, PLLC a call today to schedule your initial consultation with our firm.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED WASHINGTON D.C. FIRM
Contact the experienced personal injury and medical malpractice attorneys at Trombly & Singer, PLLC for help with your injury claim.