Can a Child File a Personal Injury Lawsuit in Washington D.C.?

The only thing worse than being hurt as a result of someone else’s negligence is having your child sustain an injury because of someone else’s negligence. Unfortunately, children sustaining serious injuries is not an uncommon occurrence. That said, if your child was hurt due to negligence, you may wonder what your options are, and whether a child will have to sue for their injury on their own or if you’re allowed to sue on their behalf. Please continue reading and reach out to our seasoned Washington D.C. injury attorneys to learn more. Here are some of the questions you may have:

Is a child under the age of 18 allowed to sue for an injury in Washington D.C.?

The first thing you should understand is that children are not allowed to sue for injuries. Instead, if a child was hurt as a result of another party’s negligence, the child’s parent or guardian, along with their attorney, will bring the claim on their behalf. To win a personal injury claim, we will have to gather and present evidence to satisfy the burden of proof. This evidence can include pictures or videos of the accident, medical records detailing the origin and severity of the injuries, witness testimony, a copy of the police report filed at the accident, and more.

How long do I have to sue on behalf of my child for an injury in Washington D.C.?

Here in Washington D.C., in most cases, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims is three years. This means that you will have to file your lawsuit within three years of the date of the accident. Waiting longer than three years will typically result in you losing your right to sue altogether.

If you have any additional questions about how the injury claims process works here in Washington D.C. or you believe you have a valid injury claim and would like to move forward with it, please don’t hesitate to reach out to our seasoned legal team. We’ve fought for countless accident victims over the years, and we’re here to fight for you and your child as well. Give us a call today or contact us online so we can get started working on your personal injury case.


Contact the experienced personal injury and medical malpractice attorneys at Trombly & Singer, PLLC for help with your injury claim.