Am I Entitled to Compensation for a Dooring Accident?

There is nothing worse than sustaining a serious injury as a result of someone else’s negligence. Unfortunately, this is something that happens every single day here in Washington, D.C. Despite D.C. being a great place to ride bikes, as well as motorcycles, it’s no secret that these individuals are more prone to serious injuries when involved in accidents. One of the most common types of accidents that cyclists and motorcyclists find themselves involved in is dooring accidents. If you were recently injured in a dooring accident, please continue reading and reach out to our dedicated Washington, D.C. injury attorneys to learn more about how we can help you get the compensation you need. Here are some of the questions you may have:

What is a dooring accident?

Essentially, a dooring accident is when a person fails to look both ways before opening their car door and opens it into a passing cyclist or motorcycle rider. Typically, these accidents occur when a driver is parked on the side of the road and is about to get out of their car. These accidents often occur within seconds, and cyclists or motorcyclists seldom have enough time to brake and avoid the crash. As a result, they’re often significantly injured. In most cases, these accidents are the fault of the driver opening their car door, as they have a duty to check and ensure no one is coming before doing so.

Do I need to hire an attorney?

If you were injured in an accident and are looking to file a personal injury claim, you absolutely should hire an attorney to file your claim. Insurance companies are notorious for offering injured parties lowball settlements in the hope they’ll take them and walk away unfairly compensated. A seasoned attorney is familiar with the tactics these companies use and can develop a strategy to recover the maximum compensation to which their client is entitled. In short, filing a claim without a competent attorney can only harm you in the long run.

How long do I have to file a claim?

In Washington, D.C., accident victims are given three years from the date their accident occurred to sue for compensation. That said, the sooner you speak with us, the sooner we can get started fighting for the compensation you deserve and need to heal. Give us a call today so we can get working on your claim.


Contact the experienced personal injury and medical malpractice attorneys at Trombly & Singer, PLLC for help with your injury claim.