Will I Have to Sue My Friend if I am Hurt on His Property?

When someone is injured on their friend’s property due to an unsafe condition, they are very often put in a tough spot–they don’t want to sue their friend, however, they still require financial compensation to heal. If you find yourself in this situation, you must continue reading and speak with our Washington D.C. personal injury attorneys to learn more about premises liability claims and how we can help you through every step of the legal process ahead. Here are some of the questions you may have for our firm:

Will I have to sue my friend for an injury sustained on his property?

Those who’ve been injured on their friend’s property are often glad to learn that in most cases, they will not have to sue their friend directly. Instead, they will simply sue their insurance company, thereby drastically reducing any financial harm caused to their friend.

How can I prove a personal injury claim?

After sustaining an injury on someone else’s property, you will have to do everything in your power to document the incident and maximize your chances of winning a future personal injury claim. The first thing you should do is call the police, who will send an ambulance to the scene of the accident. From here, you should ask anyone who saw the accident for their contact information. You should then take pictures of the unsafe condition that caused your accident. Next, you should ensure that you receive immediate medical treatment, and once you do, you should ask your doctor for a copy of all medical documentation/bills associated with your injury. Finally, you should retain the services of an experienced Washington D.C. personal injury attorney who can gather and present all additional evidence needed to satisfy the burden of proof on your behalf.

How long will I have to file a premises liability claim in Washington D.C.?

If you are injured in an accident on a friend’s property, you will have to take legal action within Washington D.C.’s statute of limitations. The statute of limitations in Washington D.C. is generally three years, which means that in most cases, you cannot wait any longer than three years from the date of the accident to sue the liable party. If you wait any longer than three years, there is a very good chance that you will be prohibited from suing. We are ready to help you today.


The experienced personal injury and medical malpractice attorneys at Trombly & Singer, PLLC are prepared to represent clients facing legal matters after being injured due to another person’s negligence. If you require strong legal representation in Washington D.C. or Maryland, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.