The holiday season is a popular time for parties. As a result, many people utilize rideshare services like Uber and Lyft in order to get home safely after a night of drinking. Unfortunately, Uber and Lyft drivers are not impervious to accidents. If you are involved in an accident involving an Uber/Lyft, you may be entitled to recover compensation. Read on to learn more.
How do Uber/Lyft accidents happen?
In some cases, car accidents are due to inclement weather, faulty car parts, or poor road conditions. But, the majority of accidents are due to driver negligence. The most common forms of driver negligence include:
- Texting while driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driving while drowsy
- Smoking or eating while driving
- Navigating directions while driving
- Unsafely changing lanes
- Failing to yield
- Excessive speed
- Ignoring traffic signs and lights
- Disregarding other rules and regulations of the road
Does Uber/Lyft have liability coverage?
Uber and Lyft have a liability coverage system in place. That system is as follows:
- Period 0: Period 0 is when the Uber/Lyft driver gets into an accident before logging into the app. Uber/Lyft will not provide liability in this case.
- Period 1: Period 1 is when an Uber/Lyft driver crashed while logged in to the app but before accepting a ride. In Period 1, Uber/Lyft will provide liability coverage of up to $50,000 per person injured in the accident, $100,000 total injury liability per accident, and $25,000 property damage liability.
- Period 2: Period 2 is when an Uber/Lyft crashed while en route to pick up a rider after accepting his or her trip. In Period 2, Uber/Lyft’s liability coverage increases to $1 million.
- Period 3: This is when an Uber/Lyft driver crashed while a passenger is in his or her car. In Period 3, Uber/Lyft will provide liability coverage up to $1 million, additional limited coverage for any damage to the driver’s car, and uninsured motorists’ coverage.
In some cases, $1 million is not enough to cover all of your damages. Accidents can be expensive, especially when it comes to long-term hospital stays or multiple surgeries. An experienced personal injury attorney will fight to recover the compensation you need.
If you have been injured in an accident caused by an Uber/Lyft driver, you may be entitled to recover compensation. Reach out to our firm to discuss your case with a skilled and dedicated personal injury attorney.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED WASHINGTON D.C. FIRM
The experienced personal injury and medical malpractice attorneys at Trombly & Singer, PLLC are prepared to represent clients facing legal matters after being injured due to another person’s negligence. If you require strong legal representation in Washington D.C. or Maryland, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.