What to do if You Were Hit by a Drunk Driver in Washington D.C.

One of the worst things that can happen to someone is being struck and injured by a drunk driver. Everyone knows it is unsafe to drink and drive, however, people do it anyway. This is unacceptable, and if you are someone who is a victim of drunk driving, you are most likely now wishing for financial compensation to help cover the cost of any damages you have incurred. If you or a loved one are in this situation, here are some of the questions you may have regarding your legal options going forward:

How do I know if I can sue a drunk driver for my injuries?

There are various types of driver negligence, including texting while driving, driving while drowsy, speeding, and more. However, arguably the most dangerous safety hazard is driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Drunk drivers are a serious liability, which is why if you were injured by one, you are now seeking justice. However, to sue a drunk driver, you must hire an experienced attorney who can prove that you were, in fact, injured due to another party’s negligence.

What proof can an attorney use to win a personal injury claim?

A seasoned attorney can help you recover various types of evidence, including dashcam or security footage, medical documents regarding your injuries, police reports, witness statements, and more. Do not hire an attorney unless he or she is willing to leave no stone unturned.

What are dram shop laws?

Dram shop laws are in place to hold establishments that serve alcohol accountable for who they serve. When someone negligently serves alcohol, there is a very good chance a serious accident can occur. For example, if someone enters a liquor store and is obviously already drunk, the store owner is obligated to turn the person down. Dram shop laws also apply to bars, restaurants, and any other establishment that serves alcohol. Some examples of dram shop negligence are as follows:

  • Serving alcohol to an individual who is already intoxicated
  • Serving alcohol to an individual who appears to be intoxicated
  • Serving alcohol to “a person of notoriously intemperate habits,” meaning an alcoholic
  • Serving alcohol to a minor

What is the statute of limitations for filing a dram shop lawsuit in Washington D.C.?

The statute of limitations is the amount of time you have to file a personal injury claim against a negligent party. In Washington D.C., you have three years from the date of your accident to file a claim against a negligent dram shop.

Contact our experienced Washington D.C. firm

The experienced personal injury and medical malpractice attorneys at Trombly & Singer, PLLC are prepared to represent clients facing legal matters after being injured due to another person’s negligence. If you require strong legal representation in Washington D.C. or Maryland, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.