What Should I Do if My Loved One is a Victim of Nursing Home Abuse in Washington D.C.?

Unfortunately, many of us reach a point where we have no choice but to place the ones we love in nursing homes or other elderly care facilities. Though we expect nursing home management and staff to care for our loved ones as we would have, this does not always happen. If you believe your loved one is a victim of nursing home abuse, it’s paramount that you continue reading and contact a competent Washington D.C. nursing home abuse lawyer who can help get your loved one to safety and fight for the justice you and your family deserve. Here are some of the questions you may have:

What are signs of nursing home abuse to look out for?

Nobody wants to picture their loved one facing abuse or neglect, but by looking out for some of the most common signs of abuse, they drastically increase their chances of nipping the issue on the bud. Just some of the most common signs that nursing home abuse or neglect may be happening are as follows:

  • Witnessing or hearing reports of verbal abuse or harassment
  • Patients developing bedsores
  • Broken bones from serious falls
  • Unexplained bruises
  • Overmedication
  • Patients developing infections
  • Dehydration
  • Malnutrition
  • Sudden and significant weight loss
  • Unclean living conditions

Of course, these signs don’t automatically guarantee that abuse or neglect is occurring, but often, they are.

How should I report a bad nursing home in Washington D.C.?

If you suspect that your loved one is being neglected or abused in a nursing home, you should take several steps. To start, if your loved one is in danger of immediate harm, you should call the police. They can ensure your loved one is transported to a hospital for medical treatment. If you can, you should also take pictures of any injuries your loved one has sustained. If the nursing home facility has unclean conditions, such as unsafe drinking water, spoiled food, mold growing on walls, or any other dangerous conditions, take pictures of these as well. You should also make it a point to notify nursing home management. You can also report the nursing home to the Department of Health and complete the Nursing Home Complaint Form or call the Nursing Home Complaint Hotline at 1-888-201-4563.

Finally, if your loved one is a victim of nursing home abuse, you should consider speaking with a personal injury lawyer who can help you fight for the compensation you and your loved one deserve. No bad nursing home should go unreported, and no careless or malicious nursing home staff members should be allowed to continue in the field.


Contact the experienced personal injury and medical malpractice attorneys at Trombly & Singer, PLLC for help with your injury claim.