What should I do immediately after being injured on the job in D.C.?

If you’ve been injured on the job, you’re likely entitled to workers’ compensation. Continue reading to learn about your options and then call a Washington, D.C. workplace accident lawyer so that we can get to work immediately.

What should I do immediately after being injured on the job in D.C.?

Your health should always be your first priority following an accident. If you’ve been injured on the job get help immediately then, if your health permits, you should begin following these steps:

  1. Call 911
  2. Alert your employer or supervisor
  3. Document the scene of the accident with pictures
  4. Get the contact information of a witness
  5. Get a copy of each medical document pertaining to your injuries

Being injured on the job can have serious, even life-long, consequences. If you’ve suffered a workplace injury, then you must consult our experienced Washington D.C. injury attorneys. We can help you understand your options in regard to compensation or litigation, and guide you throughout this process. Don’t let the statute of limitations pass before you make up your mind. Call us today.

How does workers’ compensation work in D.C.?

Employees who’ve been injured on the job have the right to collect workers’ compensation because employers are required to carry workers’ compensation benefits. These laws exist to protect the rights of employees. As such, after being injured on the job you’ll have the option of pursuing workers’ compensation or litigation. Workers’ compensation may provide you with benefits like medical care, social security benefits, death benefits, and cash benefits. Additionally, choosing workers’ compensation over litigation could be a great way to avoid conflict and save time, money, and energy. However, many people choose litigation because workers’ compensation may not cover the full extent of your accident-related expenses. Your best bet is to consult an experienced attorney so that they can review the circumstances of your case and guide you to the best option.

Can I collect workers’ compensation and sue?

You cannot sue your employer if you’ve already accepted workers’ compensation and as a general rule, workers’ compensation tends to be your only legal recourse if you’ve been injured on the job. However, if you’ve been injured in a workplace injury because of a separate party who is employed by another company, then you may be able to file a third-party claim. For instance, say you were injured because of a faulty tool and your employer could not have known about the tool’s faults. In this instance, you may be able to collect workers’ compensation and sue the company that makes the tool.


Contact the experienced personal injury and medical malpractice attorneys at Trombly & Singer, PLLC for help with your injury claim.