What Should I Do if I’m Injured in a Hit-and-Run Accident?

When you get into a crash with someone and they leave the scene, that’s a hit-and-run accident. These types of collisions are tough because it can be difficult to get the compensation you deserve after someone has run away from the scene of the accident. It’s not impossible though. If there is a way to sue for damages and make up for some of the costs of this accident, our Washington, D.C. car accident lawyers will help you figure out the path forward.

What Can I Do Right After a Hit-and-Run Accident?

You should not try to chase down the other driver, but you can gather useful information for the police and take steps to start building a personal injury case right after your accident occurs. If you are able to, you should:

Call the police: They can come to the scene and make a police report. You will need this for your insurer later.

Write down any information you can about the other car: The color, make, model, license plate number, and any identifying information can make it easier for the police to track down the other vehicle. A description of the driver can also help.

Take photos: It’s important to take pictures of the accident scene, the damage to your vehicle, and any injuries you suffered. This can all be used as evidence later.

Talk to witnesses: If anyone else saw the crash, talk to them and get their contact info.

Then get the medical care you need and consider hiring a personal injury attorney.

Can the Cops Track Down the Other Car in a Hit-and-Run Accident?

Sometimes the cops are able to track down the car that struck someone and ran off. If they do, your lawyer can help you get their information so that you can sue them for compensation.

Can a Lawyer Help After a Hit-and-Run?

Suing someone after a hit-and-run can be tricky though. If they fled the scene of an accident, it might be because they do not have insurance. Compared to suing an insurer, it can be more difficult to sue someone personally for damages.

You may have to rely on your own insurance coverage, but a lawyer can help you with that as well. If you have underinsured or uninsured insurance coverage, we can help you put together the evidence needed to make a claim with your insurer.

These kinds of cases can be messy, but you can be sure that a lawyer from our firm is ready to help you secure all of the compensation that you can no matter the circumstances.

Reach Out to Our Legal Team

A hit-and-run accident can cause plenty of stress, but you can be confident that our legal team is doing everything that it can to help you secure the compensation that you deserve. So contact Trombly & Singer, PLLC and at least ask to schedule an initial consultation. We would be happy to tell you more about how we can be of assistance.