If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident due to no fault of your own, you may be eligible to receive financial compensation. Reach out to our experienced personal injury attorney today to learn if you have a valid claim. Continue reading to discover the most common causes of pedestrian accidents and the steps to take after being injured in an accident in Washington D.C.
What are the most common causes of pedestrian accidents in Washington D.C.?
The most common cause of pedestrian accidents in Washington D.C. is negligence. The following are the most common negligence driver actions that have resulted in pedestrian accidents:
- Reckless driving
- Driving while intoxicated
- Use of electronic devices
- Irresponsible speeding
- Distracted driving
- Driving while tired or fatigued
Pedestrian accidents can also be caused by outside factors including the following road and weather conditions:
- Poor visibility
- Dangerous weather conditions
- Uneven surfaces
- Closed sidewalks
If you believe that road conditions are a prominent factor in your accident, you may want to file a personal injury claim against a municipality instead of a negligent driver. You will file this claim against a municipality for its failure to keep up with road maintenance.
What should I do after being involved in an accident?
Take the following steps after being injured in a pedestrian accident to protect yourself and set yourself up for a successful personal injury claim, should you chose to take legal action in the future:
- Call 911. The police and an ambulance should arrive on the scene to conduct a police report and treat any injuries sustained.
- It is essential to seek immediate medical attention directly following the incident.
- After you have been treated medically, collect any medical documentation.
- You and the other party involved should have a conversation to exchange contact and insurance information. Keep this conversation short and polite. Avoid apologizing for being involved in the accident.
- Collect any witnesses’ contact information.
- Take photos or videos of the scene including any damages and injuries.
- Reach out to an experienced personal injury attorney who will work to satisfy the burden of proof to recover the compensation you require.
What is the statute of limitations for pedestrian accident claims in Washington D.C?
The statute of limitations for pedestrian accident claims is generally three years in Washington D.C. This means that you will have three years from the date of your accident to file your personal injury claim. Get started today by reaching out to our experienced firm.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED WASHINGTON D.C. FIRM
The experienced personal injury and medical malpractice attorneys at Trombly & Singer, PLLC are prepared to represent clients facing legal matters after being injured due to another person’s negligence. If you require strong legal representation in Washington D.C. or Maryland, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.