What if I am in an Accident Involving an Uninsured Motorist?

If you were injured in a car accident caused by another party’s negligence, you will likely deserve compensation. Car accidents can lead to serious financial, physical, and emotional burdens. For example, you may struggle with costly medical expenses, lost wages, car repairs, pain and suffering, and more. If you were hit by an uninsured motorist, you may be wondering how you can recover the compensation you need and deserve. Read on to learn more.

Can I recover compensation if I am hit by an uninsured motorist?

Luckily, there is uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage. When injured by an uninsured party, you can actually file a claim against your own insurance company. As long as you can prove your accident was caused by the uninsured motorist’s negligence, you will most likely qualify for financial compensation. However, in many cases, insurance companies will only initially offer a fraction of the damages to which you are entitled, which is why you should always retain the services of an experienced personal injury attorney.

Fulfilling the burden of proof

In order to obtain the proof you will need to recover compensation, it is important to take the following steps:

  • Call 911: The police can call an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, and more.
  • Document the scene: While waiting for the ambulance to arrive, be sure to take pictures and videos at the scene of the accident. Document your injuries as well as the damage done to any vehicles/property involved.
  • Seek medical attention: It is important to see a doctor, even if you do not believe you have been seriously injured. This is because it is possible to sustain an injury without realizing it. Additionally, this can provide you with important proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Before leaving, ask for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
  • Work with a skilled attorney: A personal injury attorney may be able to obtain further evidence, including police reports, security camera footage, and more.
  • File your claim on time: It is important to file your claim within the statute of limitations. In Washington D.C., the statute of limitations is generally three years from the date of the accident. Failing to file within three years will likely mean forfeiting your right to pursue legal action.

If you have been injured by an uninsured driver, our firm is here for you. Reach out today to speak with a dedicated personal injury attorney.


The experienced personal injury and medical malpractice attorneys at Trombly & Singer, PLLC are prepared to represent clients facing legal matters after being injured due to another person’s negligence. If you require strong legal representation in Washington D.C. or Maryland, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.