What can I do if I was harmed by a drunk driver?

Every day drivers share the road with one another. As drivers, we try to practice the safest driving possible. We want to ensure our own safety and the safety of those in the vehicle with us. However, we should also be thinking about the safety of other drivers on the road and their passengers. We do not want to cause harm to another due to our own negligence or dangerous driving. Unfortunately, some people may make bad decisions when it comes to operating a motor vehicle. If people decide to drive after drinking, they are putting their lives and those around them in danger. This is not fair to drivers who they are sharing the road with. These drivers should be held accountable for their decision to drive and the effects that it may have caused. If you have been harmed in an accident caused by a drunk driver, you may be entitled to compensation.

How do I pursue a case?

First, individuals should make sure they receive the medical care that they need after an accident. This will not only help to keep you healthy, it will document your injuries. When your injuries are documented, it can become easier to build a case. Victims should then seek the help of a legal professional. Attorneys can assist you in gathering the information you need to compile a case. Police reports can also be a contribution to your case that may help provide you with compensation, along with the driver’s arrest record. Investigations will need to be conducted to compile all the information possible for your case. For this, witnesses should be located to provide any evidence.

What will happen to the driver?

When drivers are charged with driving under the influence, they can face a variety of consequences. If they are found driving with a blood alcohol content of 0.08% or more, they may be deemed legally impaired while driving. This may lead to fines and possible incarceration.

In Washington D.C., there are laws in place called dram shop laws. Dram shop laws impose liability upon the business that neglectfully sells alcohol to patrons who then cause serious injuries, property damage or even death. This means that victims of drunk drivers can file lawsuits against the liquor store, bar or restaurant that served alcohol to the driver that harmed them.

The experienced personal injury and medical malpractice attorneys at Trombly & Singer, PLLC are prepared to represent clients facing legal matters after being injured due to another person’s negligence. If you require strong legal representation in Washington D.C. or Maryland, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.