Unfortunately, all kinds of auto accidents have the potential to be fatal. However, some auto accidents are often more severe than others. Auto accidents that are deemed the most dangerous are often recognized as so because of their high fatality rate. Victims of these types of accidents are often burdened with significant damages. If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, please read on and contact our seasoned Washington, D.C. Car Accident Lawyers who can help you seek reasonable compensation for your tragic losses.
What types of auto accidents are the most dangerous?
Among all the different types of collisions, the following have the highest fatality rate, as victims rarely escape these accidents unharmed.
- Off-the-road collisions. This type of auto accident occurs when a vehicle diverts from the roadway and crashes into stationary objects off the road such as a telephone pole or a cement barrier.
- Side-impact collisions. This type of auto accident also known as a T-bone accident occurs when a vehicle crashes into the side of another vehicle.
- Rollover collisions. This type of auto accident occurs when a vehicle tips or flips on its side or roof as a result of a forceful impact.
- Heald-on collisions. This type of auto accident occurs when two vehicles traveling in opposite directions crash into each other front to front.
- Rear-end collisions. This type of auto accident occurs when a vehicle crashes into the back of the vehicle in front of them.
Victims of these types of accidents are often inflicted with both physical and mental trauma that negatively impacts their welfare. Victims may sustain serious injuries such as traumatic brain injuries, neck and spinal cord injuries, internal organ damage, broken bones, and severe burns. Victims could sustain life-altering injuries that cause them to be impaired or disabled. Motorists must exercise reasonable care when behind the wheel to prevent serious accidents and injuries.
What are the statistics behind these accidents?
According to research, these auto accidents account for the highest fatality rates. Undoubtedly, off-the-road collisions are the deadliest auto accidents. According to statistics, they account for a staggering 32% of all fatal accidents. This may not come as a surprise to many as this type of accident is often the result of drunk driving, distracted driving, or driving when there are inclement weather conditions. Alongside off-the-road collisions, side-impact collisions account for 21% of all fatal auto accidents. Side-impact collisions often occur at intersections when a vehicle fails to yield the right of way. In addition, statistics also show that rollover accidents make up a tragic 11% of all fatal car accidents. Rollover accidents are common in heavy vehicles such as trucks. Rollover accidents are extremely dangerous because the vehicle can flip more than one time. Alongside rollover accidents, head-on collisions make up 10% of all fatal auto accidents. Head-on collisions are extremely dangerous as they often occur at high speeds. In these accidents, the impact alone is often fatal. Finally, rear-end collisions are responsible for over 7% of fatal car accidents. As shown, these types of auto accidents are extremely dangerous as they cause many fatalities to occur on the road.
In the unfortunate event that you have been injured in any type of auto accident, don’t hesitate to contact our compassionate and determined team members. Our firm is dedicated to helping you get justice!