Parking lots are everywhere. We find ourselves walking through them almost every time we go to work, visit a store, the doctor, the mall, a restaurant, and so on. But, if parking lots are not properly maintained, serious accidents can occur. Read on to learn more about parking lot accidents in Washington D.C., how they are caused, and what to do in the event of an injury.
Common causes of parking lot accidents:
Like roads and sidewalks, parking lots need to be maintained. If a parking lot is not properly maintained, you can sustain a serious injury. The most common causes of parking lot accidents include:
- Standing water
- Inadequate security
- Insufficient parking lot lights
- Failure to remove weather-related hazards
Steps to take after an accident:
If you are involved in an accident due to another party’s negligence, you will likely be entitled to recover compensation. In order to recover the compensation you need and deserve, it is important to take the following steps:
- Call 911: The police can send an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, and keep the scene safe so no one else gets hurt.
- Document the scene: While waiting for the ambulance to arrive, it is important to take pictures and videos of the hazardous conditions that caused your accident to occur.
- Obtain witness contacts: If anyone saw your accident occur, they may be able to provide important witness testimony. Ask for their name and contact information.
- Seek medical attention: It is important to go to the hospital even if you do not believe you have been seriously injured. This is because it is possible to sustain a serious injury without realizing it. Additionally, this can provide you with important proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Before leaving, ask for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
- Contact an attorney: Reach out to an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible. An attorney may be able to obtain further evidence, such as police reports, security camera footage, and more. Additionally, an attorney will ensure that you do not miss any important deadlines.
If you have been injured in a parking lot accident, you will need the help of an experienced personal injury attorney. Contact our firm today to discuss your case.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED WASHINGTON D.C. FIRM
The experienced personal injury and medical malpractice attorneys at Trombly & Singer, PLLC are prepared to represent clients facing legal matters after being injured due to another person’s negligence. If you require strong legal representation in Washington D.C. or Maryland, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.