Trucks are some of the most dangerous vehicles on the road. This is due to their sheer size and weight. As a result, when truck accidents occur, they are often devastating. Read on to learn more about truck accidents, how they occur, and what to do in the event of an accident.
What causes truck accidents?
Truck accidents typically occur as a result of the following:
- Reckless driving: If a truck driver drives unsafely, it can be more difficult to fully control the vehicle and bring it to a complete stop. The average truck needs the length of about two football entire fields in order to come to a complete stop.
- Safety regulations: Truck drivers may fail to follow safe road regulations if they partake in reckless driving, such as improper lane change, incorrectly passing other vehicles, or following too closely behind other drivers.
- Poor visibility: Because of their weight and size, trucks have limited visibility and cannot see every spot on the road. These blind spots often result in accidents.
- Drowsy driving: Truck drivers are limited by law to the amount of time they are able to spend on the road. Drivers are allowed to work 11 hours within a 14-hour workday, allotting them no more than 70 hours of driving a week.
- Mechanical problems: Trucks can crash as a result of mechanical issues. This may include tire blowouts, brake issues, breakdowns, and more.
- Impaired Driving: If a truck driver gets behind the wheel while intoxicated, serious accidents can occur.
What is the statute of limitations?
In order to recover the compensation you need, you will have to file your claim on time. This deadline is known as a statute of limitations. In Washington D.C., the statute of limitations is generally three years from the date of the accident. Failing to file within three years will likely mean losing your opportunity to recover the compensation you need and deserve. To avoid missing any important deadlines, it is important to reach out to an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible.
If you have been injured in a truck accident, you will need the help of a dedicated personal injury attorney. Contact our firm to discuss your case.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED WASHINGTON D.C. FIRM
The experienced personal injury and medical malpractice attorneys at Trombly & Singer, PLLC are prepared to represent clients facing legal matters after being injured due to another person’s negligence. If you require strong legal representation in Washington D.C. or Maryland, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.