Some people have trouble strictly following medical advice. Sometimes, the advice can feel tedious. Other times, individuals feel that they know their bodies and therefore can heal on their own. But, it is important to follow your doctor’s advice and this is especially true after an injury. Read on to learn why:
- Your doctor is looking out for your best interests
- Doctors have been trained in their field for years, and their main objective is to help patients heal. Listening to an expert who has your best interests at heart is the smartest thing you can do. It can be frustrating, but when a doctor tells you to go light on activity or to regularly practice a certain activity to regain strength after an accident, you should follow those instructions.
- Your doctor can track and document your progress
- When your doctor gives you instructions with a rehabilitation plan, be sure to follow those instructions and report back periodically. This will help ensure that your progress is documented. This is beneficial because it will help you see how much your condition has improved over time, allow your doctor to make changes to the plan, and help your doctor make predictions about the future of your injury. This documentation can also play a role in a personal injury case.
- Doctors’ advice is often aimed at the “long term.”
- Injuries can take a major toll. Unfortunately, some injuries can follow us throughout our lives. Even if you feel okay now, it is important to continue following your doctor’s advice so that you can avoid complications or difficulties in the future.
- Following doctor’s orders may help you win the compensation you deserve
- Your medical documents can play a large role in a personal injury case. For example, going to the doctor immediately after your accident can provide you with important proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. When it comes to a personal injury case, insurance companies will work to deny awarding you the full compensation you deserve. For example, they may try to prove that you failed to follow the doctor’s orders, worsening or hindering the healing of your injury, and as a result, you do not deserve compensation. Carefully following your doctor’s orders will mean this claim cannot be used against you.
If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, our firm will fight for you. Reach out to discuss your case with an experienced personal injury attorney.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED WASHINGTON D.C. FIRM
The experienced personal injury and medical malpractice attorneys at Trombly & Singer, PLLC are prepared to represent clients facing legal matters after being injured due to another person’s negligence. If you require strong legal representation in Washington D.C. or Maryland, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.