Snow and Ice Accidents in Washington D.C.

Though Washington D.C. does not get as much snow as some of the Northern states, there is still a high probability of snow in the winter months. Snowfall and icy conditions are responsible for thousands of slip and fall accidents every year, and if you are involved in one, you may be eligible for financial compensation for the injuries you have sustained. This compensation can be used to cover the cost of your medical bills, in-home care, lost wages, and more. If you find yourself in this situation, here are some of the questions you may have going forward:

What can cause a snow or ice accident?

Some of the most frequent causes of these notoriously bad accidents are as follows:

  • Unsalted walkways or steps, leaving an icy surface
  • Snow left on walkways
  • Hanging icicles left to fall
  • Icy handrails

How are people injured in snow or ice accidents?

Several severe injuries can occur in snow and ice accidents. Some of the most common injuries sustained in snow or ice accidents are as follows:

  • Gashes requiring stitches
  • Facial disfiguration
  • Concussions
  • Lacerations
  • Broken bones
  • Back trauma

How do I sue a property owner?

To sue a property owner for your injuries, you will have to prove that you were injured due to his or her negligence. In Washington D.C., property owners have 24 hours from a weather event to clear away all ice, snow, and any other debris associated with the storm. If you can prove that you were injured after that 24-hour window, you will most likely recover the financial compensation you deserve.

What is the statute of limitations for personal injury claims in Washington D.C.?

The statute of limitations for personal injury claims in Washington D.C. is three years, which means you will have three years from the date of your accident to sue a negligent property owner. If you wait any longer than three years, you will be denied your right to sue. Do not let this happen.

Additionally, it is worth noting that in Washington D.C., if you were injured on property owned by Washington D.C., your claim will be handled by the Tort Liability Division. However, when you file a lawsuit against a municipality, you will have to file within 6 months of your accident. The sooner you file, the better. Our firm is ready to help you.

Contact our experienced Washington D.C. firm

The experienced personal injury and medical malpractice attorneys at Trombly & Singer, PLLC are prepared to represent clients facing legal matters after being injured due to another person’s negligence. If you require strong legal representation in Washington D.C. or Maryland, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.