With the hustle and bustle, hot foods, and lots of liquids, restaurants are more dangerous than you may realize. Read on to learn more about restaurant accidents in Washington D.C. and what to do in the event of an injury.
How do restaurant accidents occur?
There are countless ways for a restaurant accident to occur, including:
- Slippery floors without warning signs causing slip and fall accidents
- Burn or scald injuries from the dishwasher, stove, or any other kitchen appliance.
- Employers must ensure all kitchen equipment is in working condition before giving their employees the “ok” to work.
- Burns or electrocutions due to dysfunctional electrical appliances
- Hearing loss due to loudspeakers/drive-thrus
- Exposure to toxic chemicals
- If you were forced to lift heavy items even after you told your employer that you are unable to due to a medical condition, you may be eligible for compensation if you were injured
- Food poisoning
- Eye injuries
- Serious burns
Who is responsible for a restaurant accident?
In order to hold a restaurant accountable, you will have to prove that the property owner knew, or should have reasonably known about the unsafe conditions that caused your accident, failed to fix them in time, and that you were injured and incurred significant financial damages as a result. In order to obtain this proof, it is important to work with an experienced attorney. A personal injury attorney may be able to access police reports, security camera footage, and other important evidence. In order to obtain your own proof of negligence, it is important to take the following steps:
- Call 911: The police can send an ambulance to the scene.
- Notify the manager: This will allow the manager to file an accident report. Be sure to ask for a copy of this report.
- Document the scene: If possible, take pictures and videos of the hazardous conditions that caused your accident to occur.
- Obtain witness contacts: If anyone saw your accident occur, ask for their contact information, as they may be able to provide important witness testimony.
- Seek medical attention: It is important to see a medical professional right away. It is important to do so, even if you do not believe you have been seriously injured. This is because it is possible to sustain a serious injury without realizing it. Additionally, be sure to ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents- this can play a large role in a personal injury case when it comes to providing proof of the origin and extent of your injuries.
If you have been injured in a restaurant accident, our firm is here for you. Reach out today to discuss your case.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED WASHINGTON D.C. FIRM
The experienced personal injury and medical malpractice attorneys at Trombly & Singer, PLLC are prepared to represent clients facing legal matters after being injured due to another person’s negligence. If you require strong legal representation in Washington D.C. or Maryland, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.