Crossing the street, or even going for a walk, can be stressful. This is because pedestrian accidents occur often, and these accidents can result in life-altering injuries. If you are injured in a pedestrian accident, you may deserve compensation for the physical, financial, and emotional burdens you face as a result of the injury. Read on to learn more about pedestrian accidents in Washington D.C.
How do pedestrian accidents occur?
There are a number of ways for a pedestrian accident to occur. That being said, the most common cause of accidents is driver negligence. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Reckless driving
- Driving while intoxicated
- Use of electronic devices
- Irresponsible speeding
- Distracted driving
- Driving while tired or fatigued
Other factors may also come into play when a pedestrian accident occurs. Some of these factors include road and weather conditions:
- Poor visibility
- Dangerous weather conditions
- Uneven surfaces
- Closed sidewalks
As a pedestrian, it is important that you take precautions as well. Accidents can occur when pedestrians fail to pay attention or obey traffic signs and lights.
What do I do if I am injured in a pedestrian accident?
If you are injured in a pedestrian accident, it is important to take the following steps, if possible:
- Call 911: If you have been involved in a car accident, there is a high chance that you are facing serious injuries. It is important to call 911 right away.
- Obtain medical attention: Even if you do not believe you have been seriously injured, it is important to seek medical attention anyway. This is because it is possible to sustain a serious injury without realizing it. Additionally, seeing a doctor will provide you with important proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Be sure to ask for a copy of any relevant medical documents, as these documents can play a large role in a personal injury case.
- Document the scene: While waiting for the ambulance to arrive, take pictures and videos of the scene. If possible, document your injuries, as well as any damage done to the vehicle and any property involved.
- Obtain witness contacts: If anyone saw the accident occur, they may be able to corroborate your version of events. Be sure to ask for their name and contact information.
If you have been involved in a pedestrian accident, you will need an experienced attorney on your side. Reach out to our firm today to discuss your case.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED WASHINGTON D.C. FIRM
The experienced personal injury and medical malpractice attorneys at Trombly & Singer, PLLC are prepared to represent clients facing legal matters after being injured due to another person’s negligence. If you require strong legal representation in Washington D.C. or Maryland, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.