How to Sue if You Have Been Injured in a Washington D.C. Subway Accident

Though the subways are an efficient means of transportation, nobody pretends they are completely safe. If you are someone who has been injured in a subway accident, you are most likely now seeking to file a lawsuit against the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority. Please continue reading and reach out to one of our experienced subway accident attorneys to learn more about how we can help you. Here are some of the questions you may have:

What are some of the most frequent causes of subway accidents?

Subway accidents are most frequently caused by improper maintenance, operation, or design, including defective stairs or platforms, poor subway security, obstructed walkways, electrocutions, improperly functioning subway doors, and more.

How do I know if I qualify for compensation after an accident?

To qualify for financial compensation, you will have to prove that you were injured as a direct result of another party’s negligence. There are various ways in which a subway system can become unsafe, which is why you need an attorney familiar with the claims process who can sufficiently gather and present evidence to create the most convincing case possible. Fortunately, our firm has been doing so for clients in Washington D.C. for years. To prove your personal injury claim, our firm will work to recover security camera footage of the accident, witness statements, medical documents, and more.

How long do I have to sue if I was injured in a Washington D.C. subway accident?

Though generally, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims in Washington D.C. is three years, when you are suing a municipality for an injury, you will have 6 months from the date of your accident to file what is known as a Notice of Claim. Rather simply, the Notice of Claim lets the municipality know that you intend to bring legal action against it.

When you file the Notice, you must include your personal information, the date and time in which the incident occurred, the location of the incident, and the circumstances of the injury sustained. You must file the Notice so the District can investigate the matter and provide sufficient compensation. However, if the claim is denied or ignored, you may take legal action with the help of an experienced attorney. You should note that if you wait past the 6-month mark, you will generally be denied your right to compensation. Do not let this happen. Our firm is ready to fight for your rights.

Contact our experienced Washington D.C. firm

The experienced personal injury and medical malpractice attorneys at Trombly & Singer, PLLC are prepared to represent clients facing legal matters after being injured due to another person’s negligence. If you require strong legal representation in Washington D.C. or Maryland, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.