How to Sue a Property Owner For an Injury Sustained in a Serious Fall

Slip and fall accidents often happen suddenly, and without warning, which is part of what makes them so frequently devastating. Even a fall of a few feet can cause serious, potentially life-altering injuries. If you are someone who has recently been injured in a slip and fall accident, you are most likely now seeking financial compensation to help you recover from your injuries. Fortunately, our firm can help. Please read on and reach out to our experienced Washington D.C. personal injury attorneys to learn more about how we can help you through the legal process going forward. Here are some of the questions you may have:

Where do most people slip and fall?

Slip and fall accidents can occur virtually anywhere, though they almost always have one thing in common: they are caused by property owner negligence. Of course, we are all bound to trip on our own fault at least once in our lives, however, most serious slip and fall injuries are a result of property owner negligence. Some of the most common locations for slip and fall accidents can include parking lots, supermarkets, hotels, sidewalks, apartment buildings, and more.

How do I know if I can sue a property owner?

The main qualifier for winning financial compensation in a premises liability lawsuit is proving negligence. If your attorney can satisfy the burden of proof by demonstrating that the property owner knew or should have reasonably known about the safety hazard, neglected to fix it, and you were injured and suffered damages as a result, you will most likely win the compensation you deserve. That being said, this is generally easier said than done, so you must ensure you retain the services of an attorney who knows the ins and outs of the claims process.

How long do I have to sue after a slip and fall injury in Washington D.C.?

Everyone in Washington D.C. must abide by the statute of limitations. Since the statute of limitations for premises liability lawsuits in Washington D.C. is three years, you will have three years from the date of your accident to take legal action against the negligent property owner. However, you must not wait any longer than three years to file your lawsuit, for if you do, you will most likely be barred from suing. Our firm is ready to fight for your rights.

Contact our experienced Washington D.C. firm

The experienced personal injury and medical malpractice attorneys at Trombly & Singer, PLLC are prepared to represent clients facing legal matters after being injured due to another person’s negligence. If you require strong legal representation in Washington D.C. or Maryland, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.