Everyone is required by law to wear a seatbelt as they are effective defensive tools that protect individuals from injury and fatality in the event of an auto collision. Seatbelts ensure safety as they secure individuals to their seats. Neglecting to wear a seatbelt could cost an individual their welfare and life. The first thing individuals should do when they enter a vehicle is buckled their seatbelts. All drivers and passengers need to wear seatbelts. In the unfortunate event, you or someone you love has been injured in an auto accident due to negligence, contact one of our devoted and qualified Washington, D.C. Auto Accident Lawyers who can help you recover damages for your losses.
Why should I wear a seatbelt?
Wearing a seatbelt is important. Seatbelts effectively keep individuals inside a vehicle in the unfortunate circumstances of a collision. Additionally, they position individuals at a safe distance from the dashboard. This is extremely important as an airbag can cause serious damage if a seatbelt is not worn. Airbags provide individuals with necessary cushioning that protects their bodies from outside debris. There is a myth that airbags replace seatbelts. However, that is not true. Airbags do not substitute wearing a seatbelt. They are both needed as they have different functions. Nevertheless, they both are safety provisions that protect individuals in the event of an auto accident. In the District of Columbia, the laws reflect the importance of wearing a seatbelt. There are strict seatbelt laws enforced to ensure everyone’s safety. All parties present in a motor vehicle must wear a seatbelt at all times. If they fail to do so, the repercussions will be significant.
What is the proper way to wear a seatbelt?
Individuals need to wear their seatbelts properly. If a seatbelt is worn incorrectly, it could cause an individual to sustain broken ribs and organ damage. The effectiveness of a seatbelt is reduced if it is worn wrongly. The repercussions for not wearing a seatbelt correctly are devastating. To ensure an individual is wearing their seatbelt correctly, they should:
- Individuals should stretch their seatbelts across their collarbone and shoulder. Seatbelts should stretch across an individual’s chest.
- Seatbelts should never be placed behind an individual’s back or under their arms. It should also be placed away from an individual’s neck.
- When it comes to the lap belt, individuals should have it across their hips and above their upper thighs. A lap belt should never be placed below an individual’s stomach.
- Children should be placed in child safety seats.
- Children can only sit in the front seat if they meet the weight requirements and are at least 13 years old.
- Luckily, newer vehicles allow individuals to adjust their seatbelts to fit their height.
Unfortunately, auto accidents can happen at any time due to negligence. Individuals must wear a seatbelt at all times. If you have been injured in an auto collision, don’t hesitate to reach out to one of our determined and skilled lawyers.