Do I Have to Sue My Friend if I am Hurt on Their Property?

It is a tough situation to be in if you have been injured on a friend’s property due to unsafe conditions. You may be seeking financial compensation, but have reservations about taking legal action against your friend. If you have found yourself in this scenario, it is important that you reach out to our experienced Washington D.C. personal injury attorney who will walk you through the premises liability claims process. Continue reading to discover the steps you should take after being injured on a friend’s property. If you have any further questions, reach out to our firm today for assistance.

Will I have to sue my friend for an injury sustained on his property?

In most cases, you will not have to take legal action against your friend directly if you have suffered injuries on their property. Instead, you will sue their insurance company which can drastically reduce any financial burden pointed toward your friend.

What should I do after being injured in an accident?

It is important to have a plan if you have been injured on a friend’s property due to unsafe property conditions. Take the following steps to document the incident and increase your chances of a successful personal injury claim:

  1. Call the police. They will conduct a police report documenting the accident. They will also bring an ambulance to the scene.
  2. Collect any witnesses’ contact information if you are able to while you wait for the ambulance.
  3. Take photos of the scene of your accident and the hazards that caused your injuries.
  4. Take photos of your injuries.
  5. Seek medical attention once the ambulance arrives.
  6. Collect all medical documentation relating to the event. This should include the date, time, and severity of your injuries.
  7. Retain the services of an experienced Washington D.C. personal injury attorney who will work to satisfy the burden of proof to recover the compensation you deserve.

What is the statute of limitations for a premises liability claim in Washington D.C.?

The statute of limitations for premises liability claims in Washington D.C. is generally three years. This means that from the date of your accident, you will have three years to take legal action. Waiting longer than this amount of time could result in you being barred from suing. To begin the claims filing process, reach out to our experienced personal injury attorney today. Give our firm a call to learn more about our services and how we can assist your upcoming case. We are here to help.


The experienced personal injury and medical malpractice attorneys at Trombly & Singer, PLLC are prepared to represent clients facing legal matters after being injured due to another person’s negligence. If you require strong legal representation in Washington D.C. or Maryland, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.