Part of being a safe driver is being prepared for all possibilities. As a result, it is important to know how to handle a car accident. Read on to learn more about car accidents in Washington D.C.
How do car accidents occur?
A car accident can occur for any number of reasons, but the majority of accidents are a result of driver negligence. It is important to avoid partaking in the following behaviors, and to avoid drivers who are partaking in these behaviors:
- Texting while driving
- Driving while under the influence
- Using a mobile device while driving
- Distracted driving
- Disregarding road signs
- Failure to yield
What to do if an accident occurs
If you are involved in a car accident, it is important to take the following steps:
- Call 911
- The police can send an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, interview witnesses, and more.
- Document the scene
- Be sure to take pictures and videos at the scene of the accident. Document your injuries as well as any damage done to your car, as well as the other party’s car.
- Obtain witness contacts
- If anyone saw your accident occur, they may be able to provide important witness testimony. Be sure to ask for their name and contact information.
- Seek medical attention
- You may be reluctant to go to the hospital, especially if you do not feel you have been severely injured. It is important to see a doctor regardless. This is because it is possible to sustain a serious injury without realizing it. Additionally, this can provide you with important proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Before leaving, ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents- this can play a large role in a personal injury case.
- File your claim on time
- In Washington D.C., the statute of limitations for a personal injury claim is generally three years from the date of the accident. Failing to file within three years will likely mean losing your opportunity to recover the compensation you need and deserve.
If you have been injured in a car accident, you may be facing serious physical, financial, and emotional burdens. Our firm is here to help you recover the compensation you need in order to heal. Reach out today to discuss your case with an experienced personal injury attorney.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED WASHINGTON D.C. FIRM
The experienced personal injury and medical malpractice attorneys at Trombly & Singer, PLLC are prepared to represent clients facing legal matters after being injured due to another person’s negligence. If you require strong legal representation in Washington D.C. or Maryland, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.