Can I Sue For Lost Future Wages?

If you have been injured in an accident, you could be looking at a long recovery time. Sometimes people don’t fully recover and their injuries continue to affect how they live their lives for months, years, or even longer. If your injuries are going to affect your ability to work and provide for your family, that needs to be addressed when compensation is calculated. Our Washington D.C. injury attorneys can help you sue for lost future wages in addition to any other damages you are owed.

When Can I Sue For Lost Future Wages?

You can sue for future lost wages, sometimes referred to as a loss of earning capacity, if your injuries will continue to affect your mobility or ability to work. This can happen to people in any career field, even ones that are not typically thought of as “physical” jobs.

In some cases, injuries prevent someone from working the same kinds of jobs that they used to work. This means that they have to start over in a different field, potentially taking a pay cut and losing out on future promotions they would have received in their original career. Sometimes injuries prevent someone from working as long as they used to, requiring them to switch to a part-time schedule from a full-time one. In other situations, the victim cannot work at all.

We can help calculate fair compensation based on your previous paychecks and what kind of money you are capable of earning now. Then we can help you fight for compensation that will make up for the damage done by your injuries.

How Can a Lawyer Help Strengthen My Case?

Your lawyer can do a lot to bolster your case. They can gather evidence and build a case against any negligent parties, showing why you should be paid compensation. They can also bring in experts to testify on your behalf. A doctor can talk about your prognosis or an economic expert can lay out how your injuries could cause financial difficulties for you and your family.

How Long Will It Take to Sue for Lost Future Wages?

There is no set timeline for a case like this. Your lawyer will do their best to get this case settled for a fair amount. If you try to settle too fast, you may pay for that impatience by ending up with an insufficient amount of compensation.

What Other Damages Can I Win?

You can sue for other types of damages in addition to lost future wages. Your compensation should help address:

  • Medical expenses
  • Loss of enjoyment
  • Mental anguish
  • Psychological trauma
  • Property damage
  • Any other pain and suffering

Contact Our Law Firm

So if you are pursuing a personal injury case and you want experienced litigators on your side, contact Trombly & Singer, PLLC. We can schedule a consultation and take a closer look at your case. Learn more about your legal options and how an attorney can be of assistance.