In an average year, our nation’s capital hosts approximately tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of motor vehicle collisions resulting in personal injury. Many of those result in fatalities. This is in large part because of the population density of Washington, D.C. If you or a loved one sustained injuries in a motor vehicle collision, please read on, then contact one of our experienced Washington, D.C. car accident attorneys to learn what the most common causes of car accidents are in Washington, D.C.
What leads to most car accidents in Washington, D.C.?
Based on data compiled by responding agencies, the most common causes of car accidents are as follows:
- Driver inattention and distraction: Talking on a cell phone, texting, flipping through radio stations, putting on makeup, reading a map – all of these actions could lead to car accidents.
- Following too closely: Although tailgating usually results in “minor” accidents, even the slightest fender bender can have disastrous consequences.
- Failure to yield right of way: Washington, D.C. is notorious for people not adhering to “right of way” rules.
- Unsafe lane changes: Many of these instances happen after a driver fails to signal their intentions before pulling recklessly into traffic.
- Backing up unsafely: Sadly, some drivers do not look behind them before backing up.
- Unsafe passing: Involving actions like whipping in and out of lanes at high speeds, unsafe passing accounts for a good percentage of Washington, D.C.’s monthly collisions.
- Speeding: While many municipalities are decreasing their speed limits, some drivers decide to ignore them.
- Inexperienced drivers: Those who lack an adequate understanding of the District’s driving rules find it hard to cope with driving in an urban area.
- Disregarding traffic signals: Running red lights and failing to stop at stop signs can lead to a chaotic driving scene.
- Drunk driving: No matter how well you drive, you remain at risk of those who impair themselves.
- Vehicle malfunction: Bald tires, ineffective brakes, steering system malfunctions, engine failure, improperly maintained transmissions, inadequate suspensions and broken head or brake lights can all lead to accidents.
- Improper road design: Road geometry, the absence of traffic signals or signs, potholes and other road defects all contribute to car accidents.
Regardless of how you sustained injuries in a car accident, you should reach out to one of our skilled Washington, D.C. motor vehicle accident attorneys to discuss your next steps. He or she will not only help you file the suit in accordance with Washington, D.C. statute, but also assist you in holding the negligent parties responsible. Please give us a call today so we can fight for you.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED WASHINGTON D.C. FIRM
The experienced personal injury and medical malpractice attorneys at Trombly & Singer, PLLC are prepared to represent clients facing legal matters after being injured due to another person’s negligence. If you require strong legal representation in Washington D.C. or Maryland, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.