How do I Sue a Nursing Home in Washington D.C.?

Our country has some of the most caring, dependable nursing homes in the world. Unfortunately, there are several instances where people come to the disturbing realization that their loved one is being neglected or abused by their nursing home. Nobody wants to be in this position, however, if you are, you must read on and reach out to our experienced nursing home negligence attorneys to learn more about how we can help you and your loved one going forward. Here are some of the questions you may have:

What are some signs of nursing home abuse?

Though nobody wants to imagine their loved one being insufficiently treated or abused in a nursing home, there are several signs you must be on the lookout for at all times. Some signs of nursing home abuse are as follows:

  • Infections
  • Reports of physical or sexual abuse
  • Injuries from nursing home falls
  • Dehydration
  • Malnutrition
  • Sudden weight loss
  • Verbal abuse or harassment
  • Bedsores
  • Broken bones
  • Improper medication dosing

How do I report a neglectful or abusive nursing home?

There are several routes you may take to attain the justice you deserve. You should always call the police and speak with facility management, as well as report the incident to the Department of Health. It is also a good idea to either complete the Nursing Home Complaint Form, or call the Nursing Home Complaint Hotline at 1-888-201-4563.

How can I prove that my loved one was abused or neglected by a nursing home?

First, you will have to contact your local police force. Doing so helps ensure that your loved one is at least temporarily transferred to a safer place until the case is settled. From here, you should do your best to take pictures or video of the unsafe living conditions or abuse. Always ensure your loved one receives the necessary medical attention so he or she can recover from the injuries sustained as a result of the abuse.

Lastly, it is always important to hire an experienced attorney who knows how to gather and present evidence to prove your personal injury claim. There is a statute of limitations for filing lawsuits against nursing homes in New Jersey, so you must ensure you do so within two years of the incident. If you do not, you will most likely be denied the compensation you and your loved one need.

Contact our experienced Washington D.C. firm

The experienced personal injury and medical malpractice attorneys at Trombly & Singer, PLLC are prepared to represent clients facing legal matters after being injured due to another person’s negligence. If you require strong legal representation in Washington D.C. or Maryland, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.