Do I Have to Sue My Friend if I am Hurt at His House?

There are few things worse than sustaining a serious injury at the hands of a negligent party. However, if that negligent party was your friend, and you were injured due to your friend’s negligence at his or her house, there is a very good chance that you may feel unsure of how to proceed. Of course, you do not want to sue your friend, however, this does not change the fact that you should not have to pay out-of-pocket for your injuries. Please continue reading and reach out to our experienced Washington D.C. personal injury attorneys to learn more about how we can help you through the claims process ahead.

Will I have to sue my friend for an injury on his property?

If you are someone who has been injured on your friend’s property, you should be happy to learn that you may recover the compensation you need without having to sue your friend directly. This is because when you sue someone in a premises liability claim, you are actually simply suing their insurance company, which means that they will most likely not feel the financial impact of your lawsuit.

What should I do if I’m injured on a friend’s property?

If you are injured on your friend’s property, the first thing you should do is call an ambulance, as they will send you to a hospital for treatment. You should also take pictures of the unsafe condition that caused your injury, as well as ask anyone who witnessed the accident for their contact information. Finally, you should retain the services of an experienced Washington D.C. personal injury attorney who can gather and present all additional evidence needed to prove that you were injured as a direct result of another party’s negligence. Our firm is here to help.

How long will I have to sue for an injury in Washington D.C.?

The statute of limitations for personal injury claims in Washington D.C. is, generally, three years, which means that you will, generally, have three years from the date of your accident to sue the party responsible. Do not make the mistake of waiting too long to sue, for if you do, there is a very good chance that you will be permanently barred from doing so. Our firm has helped countless individuals recover the compensation they need to heal for years, and we are ready to help you do the same. All you have to do is give us a call.


The experienced personal injury and medical malpractice attorneys at Trombly & Singer, PLLC are prepared to represent clients facing legal matters after being injured due to another person’s negligence. If you require strong legal representation in Washington D.C. or Maryland, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.